Thursday, May 2, 2019

No Break in the Weather



Today was another cheerless day, but I went on a long walk this morning photographing Belgorod in its puddles. I do not like sticking a camera in people's faces, nor do I like 'stealing' pictures on the street, so I often try and make use of reflective surfaces... There are a lot of puddles around.




And Victory Day is approaching. Every May 9, parades fill even the smallest village marking Russia's role in the defeat of Nazi Germany at the end of the Great Patriotic War. Flags are sprouting everywhere, posters appearing in shop windows, the flower beds around heroes' statues are being weeded and pruned and generally spruced-up. The honey shop is not staying out of the fun!




We leave tomorrow morning. The landlord is coming for the key and Julia is showing us the bus stop for the railway station -- unless we decide to walk there. Then we have a seven-hour journey back to Moscow, a night in a hotel, and a morning flight home.

"How do you feel about Belgorod now?" Julia asked me when we met for coffee at Kalypso at around 11. "Are you comfortable here, or is it still new and strange?"

My way of being a tourist is to explore on foot. I don't usually go to churches or statues or 'must-see' itinerary stops on the visitor trail. Far better for me is to walk or take public transport, visit the markets, and experience people's interactions with each other and with me. Except for the incident yesterday with the water, Belgorod has been a wonderful city to explore. Tourists -- foreigners generally, except for the smattering of students -- are remarkable enough to be a novelty, and people were most of the time welcoming, friendly, curious, and helpful. Julia's friends from the English club (you know who you are if you are reading this!) were fantastic. Your hospitality made this time very special. I hope that I can repay it if you ever come to Cyprus.

"It's still new and strange," I answered. "Mostly because of the language. But it is not at all uncomfortable."


And I would very much like to come back some time.


1 comment: