Friday, January 27, 2012

O Xeros Potamos -- 'The Dry River'?

This morning when I went to make breakfast at six, I saw that we were out of milk so I set out in the car for the nearest place that would be open, the Market at Mandria Junction.  Crossing the bridge over the river below the dam, I realised that something had changed.  Instead of the usual dark chasm of earth and rock, the space below the span was white and swirling, and even though there was not light enough to see, I knew that the dam had overflowed and that the river was coming down.

A few hours later, I set out under (relatively) clear skies to have a look... Along with, it seemed, the rest of Paphos and his donkey.

First stop was the river side, where I joined an elderly gent who was videoing from his phone.


"O Xeros Potamos?"  I asked him.  "The 'Dry River'?  That's its name, right?" I asked him in Greek.  He snorted.  "That's what they say!"  Then shook his head in wonder... "Πολύ νερό, πολύ νερό..." A lot of water, yes indeedy!




Atop the dam, the populace and the press was out in force.  Even when the hail began.  The Highway Department has blocked ingress from one side of the dam, but a steady stream of cars, icecream vans, fruit sellers, and donut and snack vans kept arriving from the other side, parking, leaving, hooting...  The buying, selling, photographing, laughing, continued unabated.





"Κοίτα! Ξανά χαλάζει! (Look!  Its hailing again!) yelled one man, grinning, and turned his face to the sky.  Lightning flashed, thunder cracked, and hailstones gathered in the folds of my jacket.











By this time my shoes were wet and my jeans soaked to the knee.  I decided that I had had enough and ran for the car.

2 comments:

  1. you seem to really be getting the rain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was intrigued by your blog post about "O Xeros Potamos," also known as "The Dry River." It's fascinating to learn about the rich history and significance of this river, which plays a unique role in the landscape and culture of its region. On a slightly different note, if you ever find yourself near the Gold Coast and need to dispose of an old car, consider reaching out to Cash for Scrap Cars Gold Coast (sell my car). They're known for their excellent services when it comes to recycling and disposing of vehicles in an eco-friendly manner, which aligns well with the themes of preservation and sustainability you discussed in your post.

    ReplyDelete